Insurance & Excess
Under our base daily rental rate you get comprehensive insurance for yourself and your vehicle free, with an excess of $3000 in case of accident. This is the most you would have to pay, however we recommend you upgrade to one of our Collision Damage Waiver options to reduce your liability and give you peace of mind on your travels. The $3000 excess doesn't apply to the minivans, please enquire about these.
Choose one of the following Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) options:
Reduce your excess to $0 by paying an additional $21 per day
Reduce your excess to $600 by paying an additional $15 per day
You will be prompted to select your insurance option when you book your vehicle
- With the free insurance the hirer’s credit card will be authorised for the amount of the above excess at the time of rental.
- If an accident or theft occurs while the car is on hire the hirer is liable up to their excess amount or the cost of repair, whichever is the lesser amount.
- The excess applies to damage caused to the vehicle or damage caused by the vehicle.
- This covers damage to either the rental car and third party vehicles or property up to the value of NZD$1,000,000.
- The hirer of the vehicle must be 21 years or older.
The indemnities referred to above shall not apply where the damage, injury or loss arises when:
- The driver of the vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug that affects his or her ability to drive the vehicle.
- The vehicle is in an unsafe or un-roadworthy condition, which arises during the hire, of which the Hirer or driver is aware, or should be aware of, and which causes or contributes to further damage or loss.
- The vehicle is operated in any race, speed test, rally or contest;
- The vehicle is driven by any person not named in clause 1 of the Rental Agreement;
- The vehicle is driven by any person who, at the time when he or she drives the vehicle, is disqualified from holding, or has never held a driver’s license appropriate for the vehicle;
- The vehicle is wilfully or recklessly damaged by the Hirer, any person named in clause 1 of the Rental Agreement; of this agreement or any other person driving the vehicle under the authority of the hirer.
- The vehicle is lost or stolen as a result of wilful or reckless behaviour of the Hirer or any such person;
- The vehicle is operated outside the term of the hire, or any agreed extension of the term;
- The vehicle is operated in breach of clause 6 of the Rental Agreement;
- In the event the driver is charged with an infringement/ offence as a result of an accident, the hirer’s liability is increased to the replacement cost of the vehicle, or a minimum of $5000;
- The vehicle is operated on Skippers Canyon, or any beaches;
- Any damage is caused during the fitting or use of snow chains & roof racks while the vehicle is on hire;
- In the event of a single vehicle accident the cost of towing and /or salvage of the vehicle will be at the hirer’s expense.
- Loss of or damage to property which belongs to or is in the Insured’s care, custody or control other than (i) a building which is leased or rented by the Insured or (ii) a vehicle which is not the property of the Insured or Insured under this Policy which is being towed by the Insured Vehicle unless the Insured’s Business includes a vehicle recovery service.
- Bodily Injury to or Loss suffered by any person who was in charge of an Insured Vehicle at the time of an Accident, or by any person arising out of the course of their employment by the Insured.
- Loss of or damage to any property (including any road) arising from vibration caused by an Insured Vehicle or from the weight of an Insured Vehicle and/or the weight of the load carried by an Insured Vehicle or the combined weight of an Insured Vehicle.
- Liability directly or indirectly caused while any component on the Insured vehicle is being used or operated for the purpose for which it has been designed (eg operation of a crane or backhoe).
- The excesses or any other amount separately stated herein.
- Liability resulting from the bringing of a load to, or the taking away of a load from, an Insured Vehicle
The general effect of this provision is that an exclusion will not apply if the hirer proves on the balance of probability that the damage was not caused or contributed to by the matters to which the exclusion applies.