Got a question? Our staff are always happy to answer questions about our car hire services and provide any other information we can to make your trip as smooth and comfortable as possible. But before you contact us, take a look at the FAQs below to see if the answer to your question is listed here.
What do the standard car hire rates include?
Our daily hire rate is fully inclusive of insurance cover (with a $3000 excess), unlimited kilometres, unlimited listed drivers, NZ Roadside Assistance, travel information including maps and guide books.
Do you have airport pick up and drop off?
Yes – we offer pick-up and drop-off from Auckland Airport domestic and international terminals along with Hotels in the Airport Area. We also have an afterhours pick-up and drop-off facility available at a small additional cost. Contact us on our free phone number to arrange a time.
How do I pay for road tolls?
Make things stress free and easy – become a Tolls for Life member for $35! You can select this when booking online or by asking at the rental desk when picking up. Valid for 10 years and transferable to a friend using your member code.
Instructions for non-members:
- Before you travel through either the Auckland Northern Gateway (between Orewa and Puhoi) or the Tauranga Eastern Link / Takitimu Drive YOU MUST PRE-PAY for your tolls.
- Go to the website: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/roads-and-rail/toll-roads/
- Select “Pay a Toll”
- Accept the Declaration
- Enter the car's plate number and click “Continue”
- Check the details match your vehicle
- Select the quantity of tolls next to the toll road you are travelling on (remember to select 2 for return trips!)
- Proceed to the payment page to enter your credit card details
- If you don’t follow this process and a toll is charged to the car there will be a $40 admin fee + the toll charge.
What extras and accessories are available?
For additional costs, you may add extras and accessories to your car hire. We offer GPS units, child car seats and booster seats, roof racks and snow chains. We also offer reduced insurance excess for an additional daily rate.
Do you accept all credit cards?
We only accept Visa and MasterCard.
Can I hire a car if I do not have a credit card?
Unfortunately not. We require a credit card to secure your booking.
When and how do I pay for my rental?
We take your credit card details at the time of booking and this is used as security for your booking. If you take our standard insurance option, the excess of $3000 will be charged to the card on pick-up of the vehicle as an insurance bond, and refunded upon safe return of the vehicle. All other charges are also payable when the vehicle is picked up. Payment is by credit card only.
Do you require a bond?
Yes. We take a bond which is charged to your credit card on pick-up of your hire car to cover your insurance excess. The bond is refunded in full when the vehicle is returned safely.
What if I cancel my booking before I pick up the hire car?
Please be careful to book your Auckland Airport car hire after your travel plans are secured. Cancelled bookings are subject to our cancellation policy, as follows:
- If you cancel more than 3 weeks (28 days) prior to pick-up date there is no fee.
- If you cancel between 3 weeks and 5 days of pick up date a fee of 25% of gross rental applies.
- If you cancel within 5 days of pick up date a fee of 50% of gross rental applies.
- If you cancel on the day of pick up a fee of 75% of gross rental applies.
What happens if I return my hire car early?
There is no refund for returning your hire vehicle early.
What happens if I return my hire care late?
We understand that things get delayed sometimes, so we allow a two hour window where you won’t be charged for your rental vehicle. After the two hour delay window we charge a penalty of $20 per hour up to 4 hours, thereafter it will be the greater of the daily hire charge or $80 per day.
Can I extend my hire?
Yes! We welcome you to extend your booking subject to the availability of the hire car. Just contact Mode Rentals to discuss your requirements and we’ll do our best to cater for you.
How old do I have to be to hire a vehicle?
To hire a vehicle from Mode Rentals you must be 21 years of age or older. However, there is no surcharge for under 25s.
Can you guarantee an automatic or manual vehicle?
The majority of our fleet consists of automatic vehicles. However, we may have a few manual vehicles available from time to time in some vehicle classes. If you prefer to drive a manual car, you may make a request and we will do our best to accommodate your requirements.
What do I need to bring when I pick up the vehicle?
When you collect your hire car at our Auckland Airport or Auckland city office you will need a valid driver’s licence (in English) and a Visa or MasterCard credit card for security.
Do you offer one way hire?
Not at the moment. All hires are Auckland to Auckland
Can I drive the vehicle off road or on the beach?
No – please do not take the vehicle off formed roads or driveways. Your insurance is null and void if you do.
What should I do if I have an accident?
In the case of an accident, please follow these guidelines:
- First, check if anyone is injured. If emergency assistance is required, call 111 for ambulance or police.
- In order to prevent false allegations, we advise you not to admit liability even if you believe you are at fault.
- Take the details of the other driver and any witnesses on the accident form provided in your hire car.
- Call our Auckland office on our free phone number as soon as possible.
- If the vehicle is not driveable phone NZ Roadside Assistance on 0508 697 623.
- Do not leave the vehicle without ensuring it is safe.
What should I do in the case of breakdown?
Included in your rental is free breakdown cover through a major provider of roadside assistance. You can call them on free phone for all mechanical issues. Non mechanical issues may incur a call out fee which you will need to pay to them directly. Cover includes:
- Unlimited call outs
- Roadside mechanical failure assistance
- Tow to nearest place of repair or safety
- Non-mechanical failure assistance (call out fee applies)
Non-mechanical failure includes:
- Flat tyres
- Flat battery (if caused by lights or ignition left on)
- Keys lost or locked in the vehicle
- Out of fuel
For all other enquiries, please contact our friendly Auckland staff on 0800 278 173.